Lithuanian medical organisations such as Lithuanian Junior Doctors Association, with the support of TI Lithuania and others ran a professionalism campaign called #BeChange.
The goal of the initiative was to encourage medical practitioners to sign a declaration and commit to fostering transparency of the healthcare system. It is also aimed at politicians and healthcare executives to encourage them in strengthening the integrity and accountability of the healthcare sector overall.
An online platform, www.bukpokytis.lt is available for the members of medical community to sign their pledge and access information about transparency of the healthcare system.
Within Lithuania healthcare institutions in the country have long been perceived as being amongst the most corrupt institutions. As a result, TI Lithuania has been working with young doctors in Lithuania with the aim of reducing bribery and corruption at large whilst fostering an environment of transparency in the sector.
- Supported the development of an online pledge tool and database for medical practitioners.Awareness raising
- Developed a national programme of awareness raising and training events. Awareness raising
- Conducted national advocacy, targeting the government and healthcare institutions. Advocacy
- The Declaration of the Professionalism was signed by 3647 medical practitioners
- The Ministry of Health decided to implement a course for medical students on codes of conduct and good practice for transparency.
- The campaign influenced the government to strengthen anti-corruption efforts across the healthcare sector.
TI Lithuania aims to continue its support for young medical doctors with activities aimed at fostering transparency within the healthcare sector.
- The engagement of young medical students and practitioners was a key factor in the success of the campaign.
- The support of the Ministry of Health was pivotal to the engagement of healthcare institutions.