Transparency Tools for the Private Sector: Promoting Tools to Improve Transparency Standards in the Pharmaceutical Sector – Multi-Sectorial Transparency Agreement
To promote transparency in the pharmaceutical sector.
i) to provide a space for knowledge sharing and networking, with a view of setting up an agenda for multi-stakeholder collaboration and increase transparency in the pharmaceutical sector;
ii) to establish a guide outlining principles to strengthen transparency in the sector, which would support the signing of multi-stakeholder transparency agreements (MTA);
iii) to promote synergies among all relevant actors within the pharmaceutical sector
Pharmaceutical companies make an essential contribution to public health and welfare, as well as to the economies in which they operate. Pharmaceutical companies across Latin America are frequently confronted with the problem of bribery and related conflicts of interest. Pharmaceutical companies face many of the same challenges as counterparts in other business sectors, in relation to government licensing, inspection and procurement activities. But they also have a special responsibility and challenge to ensure the integrity of patient and healthcare provider decisions about the use of prescription drugs.
- Mapped out risks in the pharmaceutical sector.ConsultationResearch & analysis
- Established a guide outlining principles to strengthen transparency in the sector, which supports the signing of multi-stakeholder transparency agreements (MTA)Publication of report & guidance
- Provide a space for knowledge sharing and networking with companies linked to the pharmaceutical sector. Strategic working groups & Collaboration
- The Chapter was able to map risks and vulnerabilities in the pharmaceutical sector. This sheds light on the lack of integrity across different stages in the supply chain, especially registry, marketing, purchasing, contracting, and distribution.
- The Chapter successfully convened a diverse group of national and international companies linked to the pharmaceutical sector. This space enabled actors to engage in an honest dialogue about how to rebuild transparency and accountability in this sector.
- Ongoing commitment is key to strengthen transparency in the pharmaceutical sector. Unfortunately, companies involved in this project did not engage in further activities.