Supporting the implementation of the WHO Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
The project aims at promoting public health through the strengthening of the Togolese Tobacco Control Law by integrating 100% smoke free policy and graphic pictorial health warning.
Main Objective: To promote the adoption of a tobacco control law in line with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
ANCE (Transparency International Chapter in Togo) is actively supporting the Ministry of Health (MOH) to implement the law and its implementing decrees with the financial and technical support of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (CTFK). Other partners are the WHO Country office ,the Minister of Health(MOH) of Togo and The Togolese Journalists Network for Tobacco Control (REJAT-Togo) which is a network of 16 affiliated Media organisations which collaborate closely with ANCE-Togo since three years to promote FCTC domestication in Togo. This network has high expertise in communication.
- Follow up with the Permanent secretary of the Government to organise internal review of the draft amendment Policy review
- Advocacy and follow up to put the adoption of the amendment and the decree to the agenda of the governmentAdvocacy
- Follow up for the adoption of the amendment by the Minister’s CouncilMonitoring & evaluation
- Organise interactive activities with the MPs to prepare them to support the review and final adoption of the amendment Strategic working groups & Collaboration
- Strategic use of the media to support the adoption of the proposed amendmentMedia campaign
- With the financial support of the Campaign for Tobacco Free-Kids (CTFK) based in USA, we have campaigned for the ratification of the FCTC and advocated for the adoption of the national tobacco control law and its implementation decrees and executive orders. Through our support, the following laws and decrees were adopted: Togo’s tobacco control law, Law N°2010-017 of December 31, 2010 Concerning the Production, Sale and Consumption of Tobacco and its Derivative Products; Decree No. 2012-072 Concerning the Prohibition of Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship of Tobacco and its Derivative Products in Togo, which prohibits all domestic and cross-border means of tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship; Decree No. 2012 – 047 Concerning modalities for the implementation of rules concerning packaging and labeling of tobacco and its derivative products Additionally, the Ministry of Health issued four administrative orders in August 2013, including the following: Administrative Order No. 137/2013 of August 20, 2013 Determining the Procedures for the Printing and Formatting of the Borders of Health Warnings and Other Specifications and others.
- A strong anti-tobacco policy adopted (this policy analysed tobacco industry risks and set up strong countering actions)
- The ministry of health developed and implemented a strong action plan for transparency and accountability more than 50 public servants arrested and put in prison for corruption)
- Stronger law enforcement
- Many challenges were faced ,some government official were corrupted by the tobacco firm;thing that delay the adoption of the law on the application of the plain packaging.For nearly ten years, we have been working on the monitoring of public policies in the field of public health and in particular in the fight against corruption in the development and implementation of laws relating to public health.