Fight against Illicit Trade of Pharmaceutical Products.
The aim was to raise public awareness of the impact of substandard and falsified medicines (SFM) on their health and advocate for law enforcement operations to increase the seizure of SFM.
The sale of substandard and falsified medicines in African markets and in Togo is a reality. According to the latest WHO report, nearly thousands of deaths are linked to the trade of SFM.
- Field investigations were conducted to uncover networks of SFMs.
Research & analysis
- Reinforcement of the healthcare actors on the techniques of identification of SFM.
- Organised sensitisation and education sessions on the dangers of SFM.
- Supported the application of sanctions against producers and suppliers of SFM (legal assistance and monitoring to ensure perpetrators are prosecuted).
- A toll free number was made available for the population to report SFM. Monitoring & evaluation
- In 2016 - 2017 40 tons of drugs were seized by the Togolese law enforcement agents.