Enhancing Community Awareness on the Linkage between Corruption and Human Rights
The Coalition for Accountability and Integrity (AMAN), worked throughout this project on sharing the global knowledge on the linkage between corruption and human rights by compiling a practical assessment for Palestine with focus on the fundamental right to health, and providing community awareness on this linkage and empowering CSOs working on the health right to integrate integrity, transparency, accountability and anti- corruption in their strategies to play an active role in holding officials accountable for corruption and violation of human rights.
The right to health is one of the most important rights that was affected by corruption in Palestine, however, the link between corruption and enjoyment of human rights is not yet recognized by different actors of the Palestinian society including official and non-official organizations, mainly those who are working in the field of anti-corruption and human rights.
- One assessment study on the link between corruption and the right to health was prepared.
Research & analysis
- Awareness-raising materials and campaigns on corruption and human rights were produced (this included Facebook campaigns, animations, info-graphs, and testimonies). Two awareness-raising sessions for anti-corruption actors on the linkage between respect of human right and efficient anti corruption efforts conducted. Four Facebook advocacy campaigns were run targeting the anti-corruption actors to respect human rights in dealing with corruption cases.
- Two training events were held in the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS) targeting Human Rights Organisations working on health sector field on the link between corruption and human rights and how to integrate anti-corruption and social accountability tools into their strategies.
Trial & implement new approach
- Two training events were held in WBGS targeting media journalists to develop their skills in conducting investigative reports related to corruption and human rights with a focus upon the right to health.
- Guiding materials were created for organisations on how to integrate anti-corruption and social accountability tools within their working strategies.
Implementation of new policy & practice
- The government formed a committee to review the current health insurance system and to put plans to develop a comprehensive health services system (2019).
- Following the hearing and accountability sessions held by AMAN’s partners, The Red Crescent and Human Land Association took measures to immune the supply of medicine from corruption acts such as nepotism and waste. These measures included enhancing the monitoring system of patients’ cards.
- As a result of a training session targeting female journalists, 10 proposals were developed by the trained journalists who vowed to prepare the 10 investigative reports based on these proposals. AMAN expected a high debate following the completion and publishing the reports. Furthermore, one of the journalists was able to prepare an investigative report related to health care.
- As a results of professional coaching and awareness raising sessions targeting CSOs working on human rights, AMAN was able to expand the number of CSOs working on combating corruption in health care services and in consumer protection by integrating anti-corruption and social accountability tools within their strategies with the technical support of AMAN. This achievement ensures a long-term partnership and cooperation between AMAN and these organizations which will enhance the sustainability of the project.
- The level of citizens engagement with AMAN social media campaigns ensures the enhancement of their awareness on corruption. According to the online statistics, the published material obtained thousands of reactions and shares and, many citizens were motivated to report corruption acts after seeing the published materials.
- Relying on research and professional assessments will encourage the officials to cooperate.
- Networking and building coalitions has more impact on the reaction of the government.
- Investment in social media is efficient in engaging citizens.