Curing the Unhealthy Health System in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The central objective of the project is to contribute to reducing corruption in the health sector of Bosnia and Herzegovina through the engagement of Civil Society Organisation (CSOs) in policy formulation, decision-making and support of public healthcare institutions in providing a more efficient and better quality health services. Main activities will focus on improving the transparency, accountability and integrity of 15 healthcare institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina by providing systemic solutions to key areas at risk of corruption including public procurement, human resources management and financial management and patients’ waiting lists. Further, the project aims to increase the relevance of CSOs and media in the fight against corruption in the health sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Analysis of the situation in the health sector pointed to a number of deep systemic problems in the sector, based on very fragile foundations and inadequate capacity to develop and implement quality public policies.
- Conducting extensive research on corruption risks in the health sector and development of specific recommendations for amendments to relevant legislation.Research & analysisRisk assessment, vulnerability map & baseline study
- Preparation of draft rule-book procedures for Health Insurance Funds regarding the transparency of waiting lists and employment procedures in healthcare institutions.Implementation of new policy & practicePublication of report & guidanceSystem development
- Strengthening the capacities of 15 healthcare institutions to prevent corruption and providing them with systemic solutions in key corruption risk areas.ConsultationStrategic working groups & CollaborationSystem development
- Strengthening the capacities of investigative journalists to report on corruption in health sector.AdvocacyAwareness raising
- Ensuring the involvement of local Community Based Organisations (CSOs) in the development of policies aimed at preventing corruption in health sector, strengthening their capacities by providing them with small grants to monitor policy and practice in healthcare institutions in key risk areas.Monitoring & evaluationStrategic working groups & Collaboration
- A report on the Analysis of the Legal-Institutional Framework and Policies for Prevention of Corruption in Health in Bosnia and Herzegovina has been published.
- A memorandum of understanding with 15 public healthcare institutions has been signed.