Curing the Unhealthy Health System in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to reduce corruption in the health sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina through Civil Society Organisation (CSOs) engagement in policy formulation, decision making and supporting public healthcare institutions in providing a more quality and efficient health services to citizens. Main activities will focus on improving transparency, accountability and integrity of 15 healthcare institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina through provision of systemic solutions in key corruption risk areas of public procurement, conflict of interest, human resources management and financial management; patients’ waiting lists and increasing relevance of CSOs and media in the fight against corruption in the health sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Analysis of the situation in the health sector pointed to a number of deep systemic problems in the sector, based on very fragile foundations and inadequate capacity to develop and implement quality public policies.
- Conducting extensive research on corruption risks in the health sector and development of specific proposals for amendments to relevant legislation.Research & analysis
- Preparation of draft rule-books procedures for Health Insurance Funds regarding the transparency of waiting lists and employment procedures in healthcare institutions.System development
- Strengthening the capacities of 15 healthcare institutions in the prevention of corruption and providing them with systemic solutions in key corruption risk areas.System development
- Strengthening the capacities of investigative journalists to report on corruption in health sector.AdvocacyAwareness raising
- Ensuring the involvement of local Community Based Organisations (CSOs) in the development of policies aimed at preventing corruption in health sector, strengthening their capacities and providing them with small grants to monitor policy and practice in healthcare institutions in key risk areas.
- A report on the Analysis of the Legal-Institutional Framework and Policies for Prevention of Corruption in Health in Bosnia and Herzegovina has been published.
- A memorandum of understanding with 15 public health care institutions has been signed.